Meeting online is a little different than from meeting in person. We have therefore put together some simple and practical guidelines on how to meet online to help take care of one other.
- It is better to join the meeting with audio and video rather than using the dial-in function, if possible. Although we cannot present our body, we can present our face by turning on the video. This brings our presence into the meeting.
- Do not be distracted by other tasks during the online meeting. Be fully engaged and actively participate.
- Make sure there is nothing in view behind you or upon you that could grieve the Holy Spirit or the conscience of the saints.
- Be properly and fully clothed. Dress as how you normally would when coming to a meeting in person.
- Make sure anyone who could pass behind you knows they could be on camera. These small precautions are a protection to all of us.
- Try to find a quiet environment to be on the call to minimise background noise.
- Use of headphones or earbuds are a good idea to avoid feedback between the speakers and microphone.
- A good rule of thumb is to keep yourself muted unless you are actively functioning/ speaking and need to be heard. Bear in mind that the host of a meeting can mute or unmute the participants at any time to reduce background noise. So you may need to unmute yourself before speaking.
- Use of the chat function is an effective way to communicate with everyone if you are on mute.
- If you are experiencing bandwidth issues during the call, consider temporarily stopping the video transmission of yourself.
- Come to the meetings prepared. Be exercised to share, pray and pray-read (1 Cor 14:26). Try to pause a bit after you pray or pray-read a line to hear the Amen before proceeding with your next line. Exercise your spirit also to listen to others while they are speaking.
- Some ideas for singing: For simultaneous singing, one or more groups that have a guitar or can sing, can take turns to take the lead in singing. The rest can enjoy and sing along while on mute. It can be helpful to send out a link of the hymn on hymnal.net via the chat function for easy access for the saints. After the singing is done, everyone can un-mute and spontaneously function, praying and praising. Alternatively, different groups could be called upon to declare portions of the hymn/praise.
- Remember we are learning how to use these new tools; be patient and flexible.